Project :Former Bombardier Site Residential Site, Crewe
Client :Countryside Properties
Scope :Asbestos Removal, Demolition, Remediation
Demolition of existing buildings, non-notifiable asbestos removal, breaking out and crushing of slabs and foundations, phased handover to Client to facilitate early commencement of vibro-piling and groundworks for the creation of 119 new affordable homes and 1 apartment block on a 16 week programme.
Eternit factory during decommissioning and reclamation of equipment
The former heavy industrial buildings on the site had previously been demolished, with only the support buildings remaining, but the works had to be planned and phased to enable to the Client to access specific plots as part of their contract with the social housing provider. Bentley Motors also had a right to access part of the site, with additional works being required to maintain their operations until the construction of a new car park was complete, including the diversion of their electricity and water supplies that were passing through the new development.
320,000 ft ² factory space decommissioned, cleaned and demolished
• Upfront technical advice regarding the remediation and phasing of the site and in particular value engineering of the works to achieve a betterment on foundation solutions.
• Modelling of earthworks, cut and fill.
• Removal of non-notifiable asbestos, soft strip and demolition of buildings.
• Engaging 3rd Party services company to identify all live services on site and working safely around them until diversion works were carried out.
• Close liaison with live Bentley Motors and Bombardier Transportation factories bounding
• Grubbing up and crushing of 10,000m³ of slabs, foundations and relic structures.
• Selective excavation and placement of 20,000m³ of site won soils to achieve a vibro stone column foundation solution and Client cost certainty.
• Engineering of soils roads to achieve a 5% CBR.
• Acceleration of programme to allow early commencement of Client vibro and ground works contractors, and subsequent close working with other trades for 80% of contract.
Complex temporary works required to access areas and connect negative pressure units
Works completed on budget, with zero downtime for neighbouring companies, betterment of Client sub-contractors programmes and cost certainty for foundation solutions. By assessing earthworks, disposal of arisings from civil engineering works kept lower than predicted.
A wide range of chemical processes had to be dealt with
Asbestos sheets on roof removed from enclosure to stop contamination spread
Areas Approaching Completion